Monday, July 29, 2013

Training!! (Week 19)


So here’s the news! I’m going to be training, and I’m staying here in Bayombong :) which means I could be here in my first area for 7 months! So on Thursday I went to Cauayan for the trainer’s training meeting which was great. It helped me to relax and not stress out so much. I’d been really worried since I’m not anywhere near fluent, but luckily I realized that that isn’t what makes a good trainer. I know I’ll be able to do so much more for my anak (child/trainee). I’m so excited to meet her and find out who she is and whether she’s American or Filipino.  I did the math, there are 5 brand new trainers that are still new to Tagalog (I being one of them) and there are only 4 new filipino sisters coming on wednesday. So for sure one of us will be training an american. I don't know, and I cant really say, but in my mind there is a big chance it is me, cause I've been here 3 cycles, the other sisters have only been here 2, and two of them are from Kiribati, so they're english isn't that great either. Ha so I've been studying SO much this week trying to get more comfortable. I’ll be happy with whatever happens though, I know it’ll be fun :) It’s definitely bitter sweet though, Sister Manguil is such an awesome companion! I know she’ll always be a good friend of mine- and I’m excited to make a new really good friend once my anak gets here! The things President Rahlf shared with us at the meeting were really helpful haha he basically said that they’ll need to know that they can rely on us for strength. He said we can’t be falling apart. He said that this has been prayed over and that we’re ready, we may not know it, but we’re ready. We got great counsel from him, and I’m feeling like I can do this.
Sister Manguil has been sick most of this week, so I’ve been able to take care of her- learned how to cook some things, popcorn on the stove, and yes I’ve been in the Philippines for 4 months, but I just learned how to cook rice haha… with a rice cooker even. We didn’t get to work as much as we would have liked, but Sister Manguil is a champ and we were still able to get some lessons in. While she rested I was able to have extra language study time which was a blessing for me actually. The work we were able to do was good. We brought FHE to the Taeza and Gacad families on Friday night and had a really good time. One of the Gacad sons got his mission call this past week, and has been called to the Wellington, New Zealand mission! He’s so excited! So he was super eager to practice his English with me, so he spoke only English and I spoke only Tagalog haha. Even though his grammar wasn’t always correct he was confident to just use English and wasn’t embarrassed of his mistakes. So I’ve been trying to be more like that. And it’s been great, I don’t feel bad making mistakes, cause I recognize that I’m just learning. These young adults here preparing for missions are awesome. They and their families have to sacrifice a lot to make it work, but they’ve got such strong desires to serve, they’ll do great! I am so happy to be a part of this work. I have been so blessed to have the trainer that I’ve had, and I’m excited to hopefully be a good trainer for my anak! This should be an exciting week! Love you all so much, thanks for all the love :)
-Sister Stabenow
Down by the river

Sister Manguil with the things we sent her.

No comments:

Post a Comment