Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Typhoon!!!

In their courtyard after the storm
Watching Typhoon Utor  from her window

TYPHOON!! So on Sunday we got several texts from the mission home warning about a typhoon coming. Ha, and the texts got more and more interesting- saying to go to the store and buy emergency things, food and water, that we’d be on lockdown for the morning of the storm, and then… they said that the storm had shifted course and the eye of it would be heading almost straight through Bayombong, and that it was upgraded from a category 3 to a 4. So we got prepared- got food, and charged the phones and flashlights. I didn’t really know what to expect. The night before the storm coming home from work was so weird, definitely the calm before the storm. So the storm hit Monday morning and woke me up at about 4:30AM  since it was really noisy. I couldn’t fall back asleep, so I just sat up in my bed and watched it. It was really cool, ha I’ve never seen trees bend like that. I felt safe in our apartment, but I’m worried about some of those we visit who don’t have strong safe homes. I’m eager to go visit them this week. 
   Well on to other news from this week. It's definitely different being the senior companion, I'm the one that is a little more comfortable with OYM-ing and talking to strangers on the street, so I'm the one instigating it and I am really enjoying it. Also, for the first time out here in the field I can say that all 4 of us have a really great relationship in our apartment. Haha it's about time. The other day all 4 of us went to celebrate one of the sisters 1 year mark in the field , and we went to our favorite pizza place- Mrs. Bakers :) I'm thinking today we will hopefully go celebrate my 6 month on the mission mark, and then next week we'll be celebrating one of the sister's birthdays. Oh so i don't know if i told you already, but my anak LOVES fried chicken haha and I can't help but think of the funny youtube video us cousins would watch of Mz. Peachez- Fry That Chicken! Haha, I was surprised that i pretty much know all the words still. Also my anak can't get over how different our diets are haha- one of our first days together she said to me "how can you take your day without eating rice?" haha :)


The 2 Companionships in her house!  Enjoying some pizza!
   So training is going well, and my anak is adjusting to everything, and so am I. This week I was feeling kind of frustrated though just really wanting to see some sort of success or progress with those we teach. I basically wanted to feel like we are doing some good here. We know we need to find new people to teach, so we've been praying and praying and praying to find people who are ready. Well we had a really great experience this last week. The Sunday before a member brought his friend, Prinz, to church, and we talked to him after and set up a time we could come visit him. I don't know why but I felt nervous about our first appointment, ha I just wanted it to go really well, cause he's actually really interested. My companion and I were prepared and excited to teach him. So we taught him in the Gacad family home and it went so well. It's one of those things that I can't fully describe. It was definitely the best lesson I've experienced here on my mission, the spirit was so strong. It was such an answer to my prayers and I am excited to find more who are ready and eager to accept the gospel in their life. We set a baptismal date with him, so hopefully in about a month he'll be baptized. He's been to church a couple times now and I'm just way excited for him. Hopefully all will continue to go well for him, and I hope to have more experiences like that one. My anak and I were so incredibly happy. Lots of good things this week, but that was probably the highlight. I love missionary work, and I love the gospel. It truly is the greatest blessing in my life, and I'm so glad I get to bring that happiness to others. I love you guys, thanks for the prayers and emails this week :) Mahal ko kayo!
- Sister Stabenow

Nanay Catalina :) Blue Eyed member





No comments:

Post a Comment