Monday, April 14, 2014

Pasikot-sikot

Hello Family!
My comp and I had such a good week of work! I am very excited for this cycle and happy that she and I will have a third cycle together. We are working hard and really loving our area right now.
                So with the transfer this last week there aren’t actually too many changes for our sisters within our zone. The new sister in our house, Sister Pavino, pulled a “Sister Stabenow” and just transferred within the same zone. She was just in Echague before for the past three cycles, so we know her well already and are happy to have her here in Alicia 3 with us. She could be spending a long time here in Alicia Zone like I have. Some of the members are telling me that this will be my last area. Who knows, I wasn’t expecting to only be serving in two zones my entire mission, but really I’m up for whatever is up ahead.
                This week I’ll try and give you more details of things happening here and the people we are teaching. It was very sweet getting to watch Finding Faith in Christ last Monday night with two of our little recent converts, MJ and Jonathan. They watched very closely and MJ was confused and asked why Christ wasn’t fighting back,  and why he was letting the others hurt him. The boys looked sad at that point while we watched the video, but afterwards we had them share their favorite part. For both of them it was when Christ was resurrected and came back. It was a very fitting message for this upcoming Easter. It is just the best thing, that we know He lives. I heard those words several time in conference this past weekend, and I know it is true. I know He lives.
                So more about my favorite area- Callao. We’ve got two little families out there that continue to progress. I love seeing these men lead their family and seeing what great desires they have. They each told us this past week about why they want the gospel in their lives, they want to put an end to the bad traditions that have been passed down in their families- they want to change things for their children and for future generations. They have a vision for their families. Then conference put it perfectly- they want to leave a righteous inheritance of hope for their families. So one of them shared a story with us from this past week- these two fathers and one of their neighbors were all out in the bukid (rice fields) working together and harvesting, and they got into a gospel discussion, and got on the topic of the godhead, ha so one of them explained and shared with the other two what we had taught them a few weeks ago. Ha I had a big smile on my face as that story was told. I just love imagining it- gospel discussions out in the bukid.
                This week we were able to go to several different areas of ours including the really far ones thanks to these awesome leaders that are willing to work with us. We’ve even got leaders from Paddad branch that have cars and come and work with us. It was really a blessing this week for our work. And I always love any chance getting to be in a car again haha.
                Teaching our investigator JR this week was great. He’s now started really reading the Book of Mormon and seems to be excited about it. He asked us if we’d wait one full week before coming back and teaching him- we of course said sure, but asked why the one week, and he said he wants to finish reading the Book of Mormon before we come teach again. Ha he said it with a big smile on his face so I don’t know if it started out as a joke, but we went with it and encouraged/challenged him to really do it. It is a good goal, and even if he doesn’t finish it in a week I am just happy that he’s wanting to get more into the Book of Mormon. I know that will be a strength and blessing in his life that he needs.
                Conference was amazing. One of my favorite scriptures was quoted twice (2 Nephi 25:26) and went well with one of the themes of conference- families and the role we each play in helping each other down the covenant path. I am so thankful that we have a living prophet who leads and guides us. I LOVE the gospel and see more and more how it has blessed, is blessing, and will continue to bless my life. The gospel, and my testimony of the Savior are surely the anchor in my life and I know I am so blessed to know what I know. I am SO blessed because of the good examples and sources of strength and support Heavenly Father has blessed me with. Conference always makes me appreciate family just a little bit more. I hope you all know how much I love and miss you!
Love,
Sister Stabenow

Attempting to have roootbeer floats with no rootbeer in sight!

FHE Monday night -- Piles of Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment